Friday, September 17, 2010

Agenda RTB Meeting 9-21-2010


Looks like it will be an interesting meeting.

-Public hearing on the law to regulate Pawn"brokers".

7:35 P.M. CHAPTER 165 REGULATING PAWNBROKERS

Adopt a Resolution Amending the Code of the Town of Irondequoit by Adding a New Chapter 165 Regulating the Establishment and Operation of Pawnbroker Businesses within the Town



-Public hearing on the cell tower - which was tabled from the last RTB meeting on 8/17. That should be interesting.

-9A2010-10 Adopt a Resolution Filling a Planning Board Vacancy - please let us know who will be Chair!

-9A2010-11 Adopt a Resolution Opposing the New York Power Authority Great Lakes Offshore Wind Project - Good. I suggest an alternative, to be "helpful".....put a few wind turbines in the back yards of each of the Trustees & Management of NYPA-GLOW. I bet they wouldn't mind at all. They could make some more money, it's "greener" and it would generate "clean" power, and they could stand behind (literally) their project. Win-win as far as I'm concerned.

Lots of information will be covered at this meeting - and don't forget public input at the beginning of the meeting to address any of your concerns if you don't see them listed in the agenda.

2 comments:

cheri said...

How nice another agenda posted on the Town web site the weekend before the meeting. Kudos! :)

Your suggestion Jax -
Adopt a Resolution Opposing the New York Power Authority Great Lakes Offshore Wind Project - Good. I suggest an alternative, to be "helpful".....put a few wind turbines in the back yards of each of the Trustees & Management of NYPA-GLOW. I bet they wouldn't mind at all. They could make some more money, it's "greener" and it would generate "clean" power, and they could stand behind (literally) their project. Win-win as far as I'm concerned.

What a great idea! Love it! Something tells me they might be NIMBY's though. Do as I say, not as I do. The motto of many high and mighty!

Zoinks!

Foils_for_irondequoit said...

"How nice another agenda posted on the Town web site the weekend before the meeting. Kudos! :)"

I know! IT must be exhausted after that. lol

You know - I'm not against wind turbines - I think in "appropriate areas" they look nice.

I don't think it's a good idea to put them two miles offshore - these things are GIGANTIC.

The cottage where we go every summer is about 30 miles away across the water from about 85 turbines(on Wolfe Island)- during the day I can just see the blades spinning (without binoculars!) - that's how big they are. At night it looks like a landing strip at an airport, the lights are very bright.

That's 30 miles away! I can't imagine what it would look like 2 miles away in the water.

That's another thing - I don't know the effects of turbines in the water - does it mess up the fish/birds/boaters? How much fuel will be wasted to service these turbines? Gotta drive a truck to the site, use boats to drive out to the turbines, then back.....what about in the winter? How do you service them in the winter? I've seen videos of ice forming on the blades of some turbines....that flings off of the blades and could be very dangerous. The noise of them too - sound carries on the lake, and those things can be loud and disturbing.

I don't mind them in the mountains or in the desert or in commercial areas....but those turbines night and day every day are annoying.

People who bought property on the lake don't want their "views" ruined...but it's more than that in my opinion. They paid good money and pay a good amount of taxes for their property - even though it's 2 miles away - it's going to look like they're RIGHT THERE in your 'backyard' - and the lake is their backyard...well...it's really their front yard. I guess that would make them NIMFY's.

Jinkies!