Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Do it



If there are 10 people who read this blog, whether you like me or not, I want you to do something.  Donate $10.00 to the  Irondequoit American Legion Post 134.

Then, each of you tell 10 people to do the same thing.  Donate $10.00 to the I.A.L.

Tell each one of them to tell 10 people to donate $10.00 to the I.A.L.

That would be $10,000.00 to help the Veterans in the Irondequoit community put on the spectacular Memorial Day Parade that they do every year - and it will only cost YOU ten dollars.  What a deal!

Think of all the great, happy memories you have of the parades throughout your life.  Think of all that they have given, in the name of Country and Community, for YOU. Whether you wanted them to or not, they did it for you.

No, you don't "owe" them anything - they give selflessly, and without expectations of a payback.

But this year, they need our help.

Now, we can sit here and complain that the Town Board should have/could have done this or that, and included parades and festivals in the budget - but anyone who doesn't live under a rock knows that budget money is hard to come by these days, and people don't want their property taxes raised any more than they already are, especially many seniors who may struggle to pay those taxes every year to stay in their homes.  Throw in the Moody's rating, and the recent audit.....It had to be a drastic budget.  It is what it is. There had to be cuts.  Unfortunately, "special events" were cut in the hope that the business community would step up and sponsor these events - it seems two important events in Irondequoit are in need of some help.

YOU can help.   Or YOU can complain about it.  The choice is yours.

You want a Memorial Day Parade?  Donate.  Do it.  Do it NOW.

:) Please.

Out of the 50,000 or so residents in Irondequoit, I am sure 1,000 of you can step up and be a hero for ten bucks.   Not heroes like the fine men and women of the Irondequoit American Legion Post 134 who have sacrificed much and asked for so little in return - but a hero just the same.

You may think:  "What's my measly ten dollars gonna do for them?"

If a THOUSAND of US give just ten dollars, it will do so much for all of US.  We'll get a  parade that honors our Veterans, and a day of good memories with our family.  For a grateful bunch of people who do so much for the communities in which they live, and the country that they so proudly served......your measly ten dollars would be much appreciated.

I am the proud descendent of:   A Civil War Veteran (great-great-grandfather), a WWII Veteran (grandfather), a Korean War Veteran (Father), and Vietnam War Veteran (Uncle).  Our family supported our local American Legion.

I will send a donation of $10.00 to them, and I don't even live in Irondequoit anymore.
I can't ask you to do it if I don't do it myself.....and, it's only ten bucks. 

It's a beautiful day outside - if you are able to - git yer ass off the couch and walk there whydontcha and make your donation in person?  I'm sure they would welcome you and would love to chat with you. 


To make a donation, please contact the treasurer:  Angelo Laloggia, in care of Irondequoit American Legion Post 134, 132 Long Park Dr., Rochester, NY 14612.






Walk there, drive there, or mail a check/money order to them - I don't care. Just do it.

Remember - you can whine about it, or you can do something about it. The choice is yours.

Oh - and enjoy the Memorial Day Parade as well as the marching bands and concerts and food and fun on Sunday, and take a moment to thank a Veteran for their service. Whether you donate or not.  Just do that too.  :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is probably the best post you have ever done. As a chamber member I received the letter a couple of months ago. Funny I did what you suggested I sent $25 and forwarded the letter on to many of my friends, some of them veterans themselves. I dont know if they donated or not and I am not going to push but I am hopeful.
It will be very sad if this is the last year for the Memorial Day Parade.
I am less hopeful about the 4th of July events. As a resident who grew up here I loved going to the annual 4th celebrations. I have raised my family with the same tradition and I am fairly confident my kids will come back and do the same (whether or not they live here)It is ONE thing that really unifies our community. BUT it costs a lot of money. People may say, I pay a lot of taxes already...once you figure in the cost of police (overtime) for a 2 day (already scaled back a few years ago from 3 days) I am sure it costs a lot. I hope that this administration doesnt cut out the 4th of July events. I hope they can make up the money elsewhere. It sure would be nice to see some grants come in for other things...
Again, good job!

Foils_for_irondequoit said...

Why thank you - I don't know if it's the best post I've ever done....but it is one of the most pleasant and nicest.

I'm a pretty blunt bitch. Just the way I like me. :) I imagine most of my blogs come off like that.

It's nice to change it up a bit once in a while.

Don't get used to it. ;)

I hope a bunch of folks step up and pitch in what they can for the 4th of July celebration - always a favorite of mine - and up until a few years ago, we went every year.

Hopefully, folks will be willing to help out with that too.

Give what you can if you can. It's a small concession for me - and I'm sure there are a couple thousand others who feel the same way.

At least I hope so!

cheri said...

Nice blog Jax! One of many!

I will be sure to do this and I hope many more will too.

Thank you!

kcomella said...

Yes, Ma'am!

Consider it done, Jax - and, I agree - great blog to add to the many in the past.