Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I'm Baaaa-aaaack!

I bet you're thrilled!

Wanna know where I went and what I did?

I went to my family's cottage on Lake Ontario in the "North Country", and spent two glorious, 95% rain-free weeks doing whatever the hell I wanted.

It rained all day for one day, and on another day it rained on and off with sunshine in between, other than that I had perfect weather.

The first week was a little chilly for this time of year, but it enabled the kids and I, and their significant others, along with my Uncle, Aunt, Nephew/wife/kid, and the "girls" (my 7 year old shep/lab and 15 year old mini-pin) to hike some incredible trails, and see plenty of deer, fox, birds, fish, a porcupine, and a freaking huge dead fish (which I think is a sturgeon or muskie.....but it looks like an alligator head. Seriously. It has teeth.)

Gross, huge, dead fish head:


Another gross thing I saw were moths. Not your average "flicker around the light bulb/eat your sweater in the closet" moths......I'm talking huge "wtf IS THAT" type moths. One was the size of Mothra, and the other looked like if it had a stinger, it could inject enough venom to at least paralyze me, if not kill me. Thank goodness moths don't have stingers.

This moth was at head level (to me anyways) as I walked to the back door, and it was just an ugly moth. I am really glad it didn't "wake up" and decide to fly at me while I snapped it's picture. Ugh!



After calling my daughter out to see the size of Mothra, she felt the need to touch it, which made it flutter and fall on my dog's face as she was quietly sunning herself on the deck, and I can assure you that the wingspan on this thing covered her face.....and the dog also had a look of "wtf IS THAT" on her precious furry face after it flew away.




I think, although I'm not entirely sure, that I saw a couple of waterspouts out on the lake from our deck. It was a windy day, but we had no rain and the boats didn't "head inland" like they usually do when there's a rainstorm out there.



We enjoyed the sunshine......


Watched the sailboats....


Had a few bonfires.....


....and generally had a relaxing, fun filled time with family. No internet, no cell phone service at the cottage, and no cable/satellite.

I enjoyed every minute! I love being with my family, and I enjoy the two weeks every year that we can spend time together without the interference of "everyday life" that really gets in the way of connecting sometimes. We all lead separate, busy lives, but we make the time to get up there together to hike, swim, play cards and board games, have bonfires and scare each other at night, play flashlight tag in the woods, sit down to dinner with your family surrounding you at the table and sharing memories, and stories......and just "connecting".

My wish....sincerely.....is that every one of you gets a chance to "get away" with your family for whatever amount of time you can spare....create these lasting memories, and cherish every moment of them! It is so important to do that!

So....since I'm back from my paradise, I need to get back in the swing of things!

I have a lot of catching up to do, but I have viewed the latest TB meeting on the Town website (I LOVE that I can do that now!) and it seems to have been a very good meeting with a lot of good input, and I am pleased with the decision to table the "apprenticeship program" for now, until more information can be given to the public about the specifics of the law.

I'm going to review the loads of e-mails I received while away, and catch up on the articles about the possible Primary and Medley Center news etc. and maybe get a couple of FOI requests and responses up here tomorrow.

Oh yeah.....then there's that "back to work" thing too......yuck!