Thursday, January 21, 2010

Protest At Morelle's Office

I guess there was a protest at Morelle's Irondequoit office today about Mayoral Control of the City School District. Joe Morelle supports Mayor Duffy's quest to take over control of the City School District, and there are many people who don't agree with this proposal of Mayoral Control.

It seems the Rochester and Genesee Valley Area Labor Federation, AFL-CIO are some of those people. They sent out an "Action Alert" for the protest today, along with a very nice picture of Joe and Bob.





Here are a couple of pictures from the protest, as the crowd chanted "Oh Joe, say it aint so. Joe HAS TO GO!"






I hope these concerned people do finally get some information about the pros and cons of Mayoral Control. I'm afraid I just don't know anything about it, because there has been no statistical, financial, or educational information of the pros and cons from anyone locally about this issue. Until there is true debate, and information shared with everyone - I think people are going to just protest this because of what they perceive.

I don't like that it's being pushed through so fast without all the debate and information available. I wish there were more discussion - open, honest discussion - about this, but I fear it isn't going to happen.

I may, or may not agree with Mayoral control. I do agree that Joe has to go, but it has nothing to do with his support of Mayoral control, it has to do with being part of the problems in Albany. He obviously has not been a part of anything even remotely resembling a solution.

Link to MPNnow article about the picketing at Morelle's office today.




Apparently, the police were called and the protest was "shut down" because they didn't have the proper permits, according to aRochester Homepage report.

D&C article.