Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year - New Governor - What Can We Expect?

I don't know - I'm not a psychic. But, so far, I like what I'm seeing, and it's only "Day 3".

Today, Governor Cuomo has announced a 5% REDUCTION in his salary as Governor (which has not changed since 1999), as well as Lt. Governor Duffy, and newly hired senior members of the Administration who are filling existing position in the Executive Chamber. He's also seeking to reduce the Executive Chamber Budget by 5%.

From the press release:

“Change starts at the top and we will lead by example,” Governor Cuomo said.

I love this. Not because I think it's going to help the State a great deal with "savings" and the looming future deficit for NYS that is predicted to be in the BILLIONS....but because this is a great move to position himself for the big "fight" ahead. "Look - we took a reduction in pay - now you can sacrifice something too. We're not asking you to do anything we haven't already done ourselves."

It may be "symbolic" in nature - but they are "leading by example" - and I can't find anything wrong with that. Not at all. It makes me smile.

Thank you for "walking the walk" - and leading by example. Actions speak louder than words.

I watched the "low-key" swearing-in ceremony (those "Albanettes" were fantastic!):




On "Day 1" - he made the symbolic public gesture by Executive Order to remove the concrete barriers around the Capitol Building, and by opening up the 2nd floor of the Capitol (where his office is) to the public once again. I think this is another important "move" - he has told us that this building and it's Government belong to the people - and he is trying to be more open and receptive to the people/taxpayers.
Symbolic or not - I like it!

The Governor also released another Executive Order to "REVIEW, CONTINUATION AND EXPIRATION OF PRIOR EXECUTIVE ORDERS"

On "Day 2" - he sent out another Executive Order requiring "covered employees" to take ethics training. "Covered Employees" is defined as "all officers and employees working in the Executive Chamber in the office of the Governor, commissioners of New York State agencies, counsel to New York State agencies and ethics officers of New York State agencies." according to the link above.

What's even better - is at the bottom - there are penalties of possible dismissal if you do not comply with this Executive Order. I like this too!

On "Day 3" - he announces the 5% reduction in pay he will take.

I can't wait for tomorrow and what "Day 4" brings!!! :)

I know I was impressed when he announced that the "Day 5" State of the State address would be moved out of the Assembly Chamber and into the Empire State Plaza next door - so he could enable more people to attend (double the amount that the Chamber could hold!). He is, again, "walking the walk" about including the people...the regular ol' taxpayers like you and me....in the process. He is welcoming us into the very Government we should be involved in. He is challenging us to be there with our eyes and ears and mouths to gather support for his agenda, I would imagine. He's definitely going to need us to back him up if he's going to do what he said he was going to do.

Keep me engaged, Governor! Every day there is an announcement so far - I hope it doesn't stop after the S.O.T.S.A. on Wednesday.

January 6th, 2011 - I watched the S.O.T.S.A. yesterday,

and I have to say I liked it. The speech was good, I liked the message, loved the humor (laughter is good!), and I have to say that I honestly pinched myself a few times as Shelly Silver spoke......was I awake? Yes. I was. I was surprised at what he said - but, as usual, skeptical me thinks - what they "say" and what they actually "do" are two completely different things. For now I am hopeful, but as the year progresses - we will see if the games are still played, and if there is any substance to what he said in his speech.

A little local flay-vah was at the event! Irena Scoglio and Geraldine Sullivan!


According to the IDC Tweet, Geraldine is "one of their own" that attended, and a RocNow article states: "Cuomo recognized Geraldine Sullivan, 81, of Irondequoit, who went back to work as a lunch aide after 28 years at Bausch and Lomb, in order to stay in her home.
Assemblyman Joseph Morelle, a Cuomo ally, was instrumental in Sullivan’s appearance today. Morelle knows Sullivan through politics, he said, and when the Cuomo staff asked for someone struggling with their property taxes, Morelle suggested Sullivan.
“They were very much interested in her story,” Morelle said."

Congratulations, ladies! I am jealous that you scored tickets!

The Governor highlighted many things in his speech - for the first time I didn't feel sleepy listening to a speech that drones on and on and on. A little visual activity with the three screens, a bigger venue, our future on the stage with the Governor - high school young adults from every county in the state, and in the audience were politicians, lobbyists, consultants, reporters - but for the first time it was available and open to the "public" by receiving tickets. I suppose a lot of "the public" were connected to the local political committees (getting tickets to hand out to their members) - but some people who aren't connected were able to go. I liked the setting, and the speeches from everyone.

"Day 4" - Press release announcing the S.O.S address, and another one announcing appointments and nominations to his administration, and an executive order to establish the SAGE commission.

"Day 5" - Press release announcing transformational plan for NY, and then announced a team that will deal with cutting unfunded mandates imposed on local governments and school districts, another press release announced a commission to cut agencies and authorities by 20%, and one announcing an executive order creating a team to "redesign" Medicaid. Here is that executive order link.

"Day 6" - Executive order for mandate relief redesign team.

2 comments:

cheri said...

Happy New Year!

I'm hoping for the best and like you Jax I do like the few symbolic gestures Cuomo has initiated so far.

He has his work cut out for him and I wish him the best! I pray he helps New York State and isn't just another typical politician!

Time will tell...

Foils_for_irondequoit said...

Thanks! Same to you and yours!

I think Cuomo's work ethic as Attorney General was exemplary - and I think he'll work just as hard as Governor - but he's got monumental tasks ahead of him that are daunting to say the least - I think he's up to the fight though.

I like the order to remove the barriers and open up the 2nd floor - I like that he paid for the swearing in ceremony out of his campaign fund and made it a simple affair, instead of the ostentatious display for the lobbyists and other politicians only. I like the ethics training requirement, and I especially like the 5% reduction in pay he is taking, along with Duffy and the newly hired senior staff in the administration.

So far - he is walking the walk.

How many politicians ever offer to take a REDUCTION in pay? Yeah, I know...they get other perks that can afford them the luxury of taking a cut in pay - but really - how many politicians have offered that? A 5% cut in pay? Unheard of! lol

"Leading by example." Me likey!