Monday, November 9, 2009

Auto-Tune The News

I was over at Oh, Irondequoit's blog and was watching the videos about the clicking language spoken by the people of southern and parts of eastern Africa. Very interesting, and I have seen programs on this before. I also saw a show once that showed a blind young man who would use these clicking sounds to navigate his way around his community. I guess it was like an "echo" or something that would - just by the sound - tell him if anything was in his way. Pretty neat.

I thought I'd be a copy-cat,


and lighten it up on here today and put up a couple of videos from this group called "The Gregory Brothers". They are actually a band and have released albums, but they are more well known for their "Auto-tune the news" videos on YouTube.

They take actual news footage, (mostly politicians, news anchors, and political pundits) and manipulate the voices, (and also images when they insert themselves into the video) - I think it's also called a vocoder - where they digitally alter the sounds with a synthesizer. It's been around for a while - you might remember it in the movie "A Clockwork Orange", but it's become very popular lately in music, especially hip-hop.

I just think the videos are very creative and funny, and if the news were actually reported like this, I bet more people would listen.

Here's Videos 8 & 9: