Monday, June 14, 2010

Oooooh! Tomorrow's The Big Announcement!!!



Tomorrow. High noon. THE announcement.

Will it be IBTL or RBTL?


50/50 chance here - but I'm going to guess IBTL.

For the city's sake, I hope I'm wrong.

****And, thank goodness I am wrong. RBTL decided on the former Midtown site. Woo Hoo!

The only thing I don't like is the ransom note attached to this project:

Link to D&C article

"Among the assurances the RBTL is seeking are promises from the city to spearhead securing state and federal funding for a portion of the development costs, and tax incentives from the County of Monroe Industrial Development Agency, according to an advance copy of the announcement obtained by the Democrat and Chronicle.

If those demands and others are not met by Sept. 1, the organization would turn to alternative sites in the suburbs. The organization had also been considering the former Medley Centre in Irondequoit."

Well, I'm not liking that - but I guess it's a necessary evil. If the city doesn't give them what they want by September 1st, then they will go to the suburbs.

Poo.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Given Mr. Duffy's flip flop on the bus barn after turning his back on Ren Square, I am guessing that he has made an agreement with RBTL to go to the Midtown site.

There may not be much else going for Midtown.

You might be right though Jax.

We will know one way or the other soon.

Foils_for_irondequoit said...

You may be right though too...lol.

I just read about DiMarzo's proposal for a $35 million residential development at the property that was supposed to be a transit center - that DiMarzo is against.

Development is happening Downtown - so...maybe RBTL will move to the former Midtown site.

Then again....poor Scotty C needs some help and he's low on cash and can't get his mega-project started. Poor guy. RBTL might be able to help him.

Wherever the RBTL decides to locate, I'm sure the taxpayers will be financially helping it go there.

Yippee!

Anonymous said...

My guess is a super majority of City Council members will roll over tomorrow night and grant the necessary approvals for RGRTA. I hope I am wrong.

Foils_for_irondequoit said...

We'll see if city council "rolls over".

DiMarzo not only opposes the terminal - he's willing to build a $35 million residential himself to "rectify" the situation. Like he said, he's "stepping up to the plate" and investing in Downtown, which is what we all want, right?

He's also giving them a "solution" on what to do with the property, and I think he has valid concerns over the terminal being there. He's invested a lot in his buildings already, and I can see where he'd be upset at the terminal idea.

I hope city council considers his proposal!

Foils_for_irondequoit said...

WOO! I was wrong! Yay!

It's Midtown!

Good for the city!

Foils_for_irondequoit said...

"My guess is a super majority of City Council members will roll over tomorrow night and grant the necessary approvals for RGRTA. I hope I am wrong."

Nope. You called it alright.

YNN article.

21 people showed up to speak, 19 of them were against the project, the city planning commission recommended that they vote against it - but 7-2 passed it.

They really want that grant money, don't they?