Tuesday, June 8, 2010

You Go Girl!




Link to YNN article.


I really like this young lady. I remember her public input during a "testy time" a couple of years ago at a Town Board meeting. She was so honest, and concerned, and forthright. She did it with class and sweetness to boot.

She seems like the most sweet, genuine, caring person - she really does. She impressed me as a lovely young lady who is confident in her opinions.

And who doesn't like ladies of any age who are confident in their opinions?
(Well - there are a few, but we won't mention those negative people right now.)

This is about people in Irondequoit who are going to try to do the right thing, and represent their fellow parishioners to lobby to keep their church.

Let me give full disclosure - I am not religious - AT ALL. I do not believe that organized religion is for me, and I'm not an atheist. I have never gone to church other than for weddings and funerals and a baptism or two, and only because I HAD TO . - I have never met Jennifer Lockemeyer in my life, and the only knowledge I have of her is from her public input a few years ago.

I think churches are beautiful, even with me being a "heathen". I think the majority of the people inside those churches are beautiful too - even if I don't agree with their religious beliefs, or even their political beliefs.

I think Jennifer Lockemeyer is a "beautiful" person on the inside where it really counts (not that she's not beautiful on the outside too, because she is), and if she says that her church has good attendance, is not facing financial difficulties, and the research shows that......then I believe her.

If there is any way that I can help you folks, please let me know on this blog.
(And just so I am clear on this from the beginning - no, I will not become a member of your church. lol - just kidding - but seriously, I won't.)

Financially, I may be able to throw a few bucks your way. I can research stuff kinda good too.

What I really want to do is commend you for "fighting back" against powerful people in powerful positions who make powerful decisions that affect regular folks like you.

I appreciate that you are courageous enough to stand up for what you believe in - and that you are willing to devote time and energy to research why your church should stay open to serve your "church family", and that you are willing to "go straight to the top" to be heard.

Good for you and good luck to you all! I hope you reach a successful outcome.

4 comments:

cheri said...

Nice blog Jax!

I don't know Jennifer at all but I do remember her public input.

My opinion is that I don't think the Bishop should be closing churches that have high attendance and are financially stable.

My son made his Confirmation just a couple of weeks ago. We are all funneled to see our kids make the sacraments at the Cathedral now.

It's a gorgeous place that cost millions but I don't agree with all of us having to go there for sacraments. Very impersonal. I couldn't even see my son make the Sacrament from one of the back rows.

When my daughter made her Confirmation about 6 years ago they were still doing them in the church you belong to or combining with another church and having a smaller service. At the time Annunciation was our parish (since closed) and we combined with St. Cecilia's it was so nice! A few years ago when Annunciation was merging we changed our parish to St. Cecilia's.

We spent all of this money on the Cathedral and slowly many of the churches that have been around forever are being closed. I know attendance is down everywhere but if a church still has good attendance and NO financial problems why should it be closed?

I'm happy to hear that Jennifer and St. Thomas are going to take their case all the way to the Pope! I wish them the best of luck! I'm hopeful that they can save their Church! :)

cheri said...

On another note - Irondequoit resident Chris Culver was drafted by the YANKEES!!!!!

Toooooo Cooooooool!

Monday night, the Yankees selected the Irondequoit High senior with the 32nd and final pick of the first round of the Major League Baseball draft. The switch-hitting shortstop expects to sign a contract in the next two weeks and report to the team's minor-league complex in Tampa, Fla., where he likely will play in the rookie Gulf Coast League.

Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I want to congratulate you (again) for an insightful post. I think Jennifer's style would be a good one to adopt. Civility is powerful.

Foils_for_irondequoit said...

Thank you, Team! You are too nice. Maybe I should adopt Jennifer's style?

Nahhhhhhhh. I think I try to be civil on here....I'm sarcastic, snarky, and silly at times....I couldn't be nearly as sweet as she is though. I'd go into a diabetic coma for sure!

Cheri,

I can't speak from personal experience or anything with the way the closures are happening - but, I know I would be a little more than ticked that millions were spent on the Cathedral instead of working to keep some of the schools and churches open.

As for Culver - I am not into baseball (watching it on t.v. anyways, and I don't follow it at all), but I am very happy for him.

Not many people get offers like that and this is huge for him and his family, I am sure. Of course I wish him the best of luck!